This course describes the operational procedures for creating, changing, and deleting the IBM i configuration objects that describe devices, lines, and controllers.
The course begins by describing the relationship between devices, lines, controllers, and their corresponding IBM i configuration objects. It then reviews how to display, interpret, and change the status of these objects on an IBM i system.
The course then shows how to display device attributes and how to modify or rename existing configuration objects. Procedures for adding new devices are covered next. As you will see, there are two different techniques for adding a new device. You can have the system create the necessary configuration objects automatically, or you can create these objects manually.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Determine the current status of a device
- Determine the controller to which a device is attached
- Display a list of all devices attached to a controller and a list of all controllers attached to a line
- Vary a device or controller online or offline
- Reset the corresponding I/O processor when varying a device or controller online
- Change the name or text description of a configuration object
- Display the details of a device or controller description
- Print a chart showing a system's device configuration
- Enable and disable the system's automatic configuration features
- Identify the configuration object required to define a specified device
- Create, change, or delete a configuration object under the direction of your system administrator
Introduction to Configuration Objects
Changing the Status of Configuration Objects
Modifying Configuration Objects
Using Automatic Configuration
Creating Configuration Objects
This course should be taken by the person responsible for the physical operation of the computer system. This person may be a dedicated operator or a designated user.
This course assumes that you can perform basic IBM i operations. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the courses from the following Manta series: