This course shows how to use Navigator for i to perform basic IBM i operator tasks. The course begins by expanding upon topics that were introduced in Using Navigator for i. You will first see how to use the Run Command function to submit batch jobs and how to view and send messages as the system operator.
You will then see how to manage batch jobs that you submit for execution. Tasks covered include holding, releasing, and deleting jobs, changing the priority of a job, and displaying detailed information about a job. You will then see how to perform these tasks for other types of jobs and jobs belonging to other users.
Navigator facilities for managing spooled files are covered next. You will see how hold, release, view, and delete spooled files, change their attributes, display spooled files in PDF format, and send spooled files to users on other systems. Finally, the course covers the Navigator for i functions for managing printers and their associated printer writers.
Approximate Study Time: 2 hours
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Submit a batch job
- Display and respond to messages directed to the system operator
- Send a message to a single user, a group of users, or all users
- Display the system history log
- Display the status of a job
- Hold, release, or delete a job
- Reply to a job-related message
- Move a batch job from one job queue to another
- Display detailed information about a job
- Change the priority of a job in a job queue
- Select the columns shown in the User Jobs display
- Tailor the User Jobs display to show all batch jobs, all interactive jobs, or all jobs
- Filter the User Jobs display to locate a specified job
- Sign an interactive user off the system
- Display the spooled files currently in the system
- Examine the contents of a spooled file
- Hold, release, or delete a spooled file
- Display or change the properties of a spooled file
- Move a spooled file to another output queue
- Cause a spooled file to print next
- Examine and respond to printer messages
- Send a spooled file to a user on another system
- Display the spooled files waiting to print on a specified printer
- Determine the status of a printer
- Start, stop, or restart a printer writer
- Hold or release a printer writer
- Respond to writer messages
- Change the description of a printer device
- Display or change the output queue associated with a writer
- Vary a printer device online or offline
Using Navigator for System Operation
Controlling Batch Jobs
Controlling Other Jobs
Controlling Printer Output
Managing Printers and Writers
This course should be taken by the person responsible for the operation of an IBM i system. This person may be a dedicated operator, a system administrator, or a designated user.
It is also recommended for programmers and users who submit and monitor the execution of their own batch jobs and/or who control the printing of their output.
This course assumes that you understand IBM i concepts and can perform basic tasks using IBM Navigator for i. You can satisfy these prerequisites by successfully completing the Introduction to the IBM i Environment series (including Using Navigator for i) and the Work Management Concepts course.