Every job executes in a subsystem. Therefore, the way in which subsystems are defined and used on your system greatly affects how your system performs.
This course describes how to manage the subsystems on your IBM i system. The course first presents the commands used to start and stop a subsystem. It then takes a detailed look at the contents of a subsystem description. You will see not only the attributes that define a subsystem, but also the contents of a routing entry and each type of work entry.
The course then shows different methods you can use to create a subsystem description. Next, you will see how to modify the attributes of a subsystem description and how to add, modify, and delete routing and work entries. The course ends by showing how to delete a subsystem description.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Start and stop a subsystem
- Examine a subsystem description
- Name and describe the values that are stored in a subsystem description
- Use the CRTDUPOBJ command to create a copy of a subsystem description
- Use the Work with Objects display to create a copy of a subsystem description
- Use the CRTSBSD command to define a new subsystem description
- Alter the attributes of a subsystem
- Add a new workstation, job queue, or routing entry to a subsystem description
- Change or remove a workstation, job queue, or routing entry
- Delete a subsystem description
Starting and Ending a Subsystem
Examining a Subsystem Description
Creating a Subsystem Description
Modifying a Subsystem Description
Deleting a Subsystem Description
This course is intended for anyone responsible for managing the system activity of an IBM i system. System administrators, system programmers, and system operators would be personnel operating in this job capacity.
This course assumes that you have a basic knowledge of IBM i facilities. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the courses in the Introduction to the IBM i Environment series.
In addition, you should have an understanding of IBM i work management concepts and system values. You can satisfy these prerequisites by successfully completing the first two courses of this series:
© Copyright 2023 Manta Technologies. All Rights Reserved.