RDi includes a variety of debuggers that help you debug programs written in a specific language or mixed languages. This course describes how to use one of those debuggers, the Integrated i Debugger. This debugger enables you use a RDi interface running on your workstation to interactively debug applications that are running on an IBM i host.
The course begins by describing the tasks you need to perform in preparing to debug a program. You will learn how to launch the debugger and how to create and save a launch configuration.
Next, the course takes a detailed look at the various views that make up the RDi Debug perspective. The course then shows you how to use the debugger to interactively debug a program. You will see how to set breakpoints, how to examine and change the contents of a data item, and how to step through the program one line at a time.
The course ends by showing how to debug a multiple-program application. In particular, it describes how to add programs and service programs to a debugging session.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Define and use the terms related to the Integrated i Debugger, including debug mode, debug data, and debug view
- Name and describe the different debug views that can be generated when creating a module
- Launch the Integrated i Debugger
- Create a launch configuration
- Identify the functions supported by the various views that make up the Debug perspective
- Customize the Debug perspective
- Set and remove both conditional and unconditional breakpoints
- Start a program executing under the control of the debugger
- Terminate a program executing under the control of the debugger
- Display the current contents of a data item once a breakpoint has been encountered
- Change the contents of a data item
- Use a watch breakpoint to stop program execution when the value of a data item is changed
- Step through a program one statement at a time
- Add a program or service program to a debugging session
Introduction to the Integrated i Debugger
The Debug Perspective
Displaying and Changing Data Items
Stepping Through a Program
Adding Programs to Your Debugging Session
This course is intended for programmers who will use RDi for IBM i application development.
This course assumes that you are familiar with the general concepts and capabilities of both RDi and the Remote System Explorer (RSE). This prerequisite can be satisfied by completing the first two courses in this series, Introduction to RDi and Using the Remote System Explorer (RSE).
The course also assumes that you have an understanding of basic IBM i program development concepts and facilities. This prerequisite can be satisfied by completing The IBM i Programming Environment series.
You may also have obtained these skills by taking other courses or through relevant work experience.