This course shows how to use System i Navigator to perform common IBM i system management tasks.
The course begins by showing you how to restart an IBM i system and how to specify restart options. The course then describes how to manage the devices attached to your system. You will see how to determine the current status of a device and how to display a list of all of your system's hardware resources. The course then describes how to work with system software. You will see how to display a list of the installed software on your system and how to determine the current release level of installed program products.
Next, the course covers how to back up your system. Specifically, you will see how to set up a schedule to perform daily, weekly, and monthly backups automatically, how to modify the library and folder lists that are used by the automatic backup facility, and how to initialize the tapes needed for a backup operation.
The course then covers system values. You will see how to both display and change the current setting of a system value. Finally, the course covers using virtual media. specifically, you will see how to manage virtual tape devices, virtual tape volumes, and their image catalogs.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this topic, you should be able to use System i Navigator to perform the following tasks:
- Restart an IBM i system
- Specify restart options
- Determine the current status of a device
- Display a list of your system's hardware resources
- Determine the current release level of installed IBM i program products
- Set up a schedule to perform daily, weekly, and monthly backups automatically
- Modify the library and folder lists that are used by the automatic backup facility
- Initialize the tapes needed for a backup operation
- Display the current setting of a system value
- Change the setting of a system value
- Create a virtual tape device
- Create an image catalog
- Add a virtual tape volume to an image catalog
- Load or unload an image catalog in a virtual tape device
- Mount, load, or unload a specified virtual volume
- Change the attributes of a virtual tape volume
- Delete a virtual tape volume or a complete image catalog
- List all tape image catalogs or the volumes in a particular catalog
Restarting the System
Working with System Software
Backing Up Your System
Working with System Values
Working with Virtual Tapes
This course should be taken by the person responsible for the physical operation of the computer system. This person may be a dedicated operator, a system administrator, or a designated user.
This course assumes that you can perform basic IBM i operations. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the courses from the following series:
This course also assumes that you are familiar with basic IBM i system management. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing previous courses of this series.