This course introduces IBM i security.
The course begins with a discussion of the physical security of an IBM i system. Physical security controls who can access the hardware, including the system unit and devices such as workstations and printers. In the next session, on user profile security, you will see how the security officer can control system access through the use of system values and user profile options. Then, in a session on resource security, you will see how the security officer and object owners can restrict access to system resources and secure sensitive data while allowing authorized users to perform their jobs.
The course then covers the IBM i commands that allow you to determine the objects that can be accessed by a given user and the users who can access a given object. The course ends with a discussion of the security issues related to IBM-supplied profiles and the Dedicated Service Tools password.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the operating mode setting that is required to achieve a given security result
- Identify the types of access permitted by each of the IBM i security levels
- Display a specified user profile
- Identify ways in which user profile options can help establish security rules
- Identify the powers granted to a user by his or her user class and special authority
- Identify the authorities needed for a user to access libraries, directories, and objects in specified ways
- Use IBM i commands to determine the objects that can be accessed by a given user and to determine the users who can access a given object
- Explain the importance of changing the default passwords for IBM-supplied user profiles and the Dedicated Service Tools
User Profile Security
Checking Access Authorities
IBM-Supplied User Profiles
The course is intended for security officers and other personnel who are responsible for designing and implementing a system security plan. The audience also includes system administrators, programmers, managers, and users who will participate in security planning for the system as a whole or for one or more applications.
This course assumes that you are familiar with the concepts and basic operations of IBM i systems. You can satisfy these prerequisites by successfully completing the courses in the following series:
You may also have obtained these skills by taking other courses or through relevant work experience.
© Copyright 2023 Manta Technologies. All Rights Reserved.