Previous courses of the Fundamentals of IBM i Operations series have described tasks that might be performed by any user who submits batch jobs and controls job output. This course describes additional work management tasks that are typically reserved for the IBM i operator.
The course begins by describing how to manage interactive jobs, the sessions in which system users are involved. You will see how to invoke the Work with Signed-On Users display, which is a list of all signed-on users. Various ways to manipulate the list - such as sorting it on different fields and changing the information displayed for each user - are described. The course then describes several operations that can be performed from this display. You will see how to send a message to a user or group of users and how to sign a user off the system.
Next, the course describes how to manage job queues. You will see how to display information about the job queues in your system and how to hold and release job queues. The course shows how to display detailed information about a job in the system, and explains how to view the job log for a job.
Printer writers are considered next: how to start a printer writer, stop a printer writer, respond to printer writer messages, and hold and release a printer. Finally, the course describes how to assign a printer writer to a different output queue.
Finally, the course describes how to start and stop a subsystem.
Approximate Study Time: 90 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Display a list of all signed-on users, using available functions to control the order and contents of the list
- Locate a specified user in the Work with Signed-On Users display
- Display additional information about a specified user or job, including the job description, run attributes, and job log
- Send a message to a single user, a group of users, or all users
- Sign a user off the system
- Display a list of the job queues and their status
- Display the contents of a job queue
- Hold, release, or clear a job queue
- Display detailed information about a job
- Start or stop a writer
- Respond to writer messages
- Display detailed status information about a writer
- Display the output queue associated with a writer
- Assign a writer to a specific output queue
- Start and stop a subsystem
Displaying Signed-On Users
Managing Signed-On Users
Managing Job Queues
Displaying Job Information
Managing Printers and Writers
Starting and Stopping Subsystems
This course is intended for anyone who is responsible for monitoring and controlling job processing on an IBM i system.
This course assumes that you have a working knowledge of basic IBM i facilities. In particular, you should know how to sign on the system and display the Operational Assistant Menu. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the courses from the Introduction to the IBM i Environment series.
In addition, you should have an understanding of IBM i work management concepts and facilities. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the previous courses of this series: