This course describes how to perform security-related tasks using System i Navigator.
The course begins by describing how to work with object authority. You will see how to specify the public authority for a new object, determine which users can access an object and their respective levels of authority, and grant a user the authority to access an object.
You will then see how to work with user and group profiles. You will see how to create, display, change, and delete both user and group profiles. The course then covers authorization lists. You will see how to display the contents of an authorization list, add, change, or remove a user from an authorization list, display the objects under control of an authorization list, and how to create and delete authorization lists.
Next, you will see how to perform the tasks needed to prepare for the installation of an application system. This includes how to create a library, create a directory, and change the current library and home directory of a user. The course ends by showing you how to display and change security-related system values.
Approximate Study Time: 120 minutes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Specify the public authority for a new object
- Determine which users can access an object and their respective levels of authority
- Grant a user the authority to access an object
- Revoke the authority of a user to access an object
- Change the level of authority a user has to an object
- Pass the ownership of an object to another user
- Display the attributes of a user profile
- Create, change, and delete user profiles
- Display the attributes of a group profile
- Create, change, and delete group profiles
- Identify the authorities granted to a user by being a member of a group
- Determine the primary group, if any, associated with an object
- Designate a primary group for an object, change the primary group for an object, or remove the primary group associated with an object
- Display the contents of an authorization list
- Add, change, or remove a user from an authorization list
- Display the objects under control of an authorization list
- Create and delete authorization lists
- Put an object under the control of, or remove an object from under the control of, an authorization list
- Create a library
- Create a directory
- Change the current library and home directory of a user
- Display and change security-related system values
- Use the System i Navigator Security Wizard to set up the security-related system values on your system.
Granting Object Authority
Creating and Maintaining User Profiles
Working with Group Profiles
Working with Authorization Lists
Creating an Application Evironment
Working with Security-Related System Values
The course is intended for security officers and other personnel who are responsible for designing and implementing a system security plan. The audience also includes system administrators, programmers, managers, and users who will participate in security planning for the system as a whole or for one or more applications.
This course assumes that you are familiar with the concepts and basic operations of IBM i systems. You can satisfy these prerequisites by successfully completing the courses in the following series:
Finally, the course assumes that you have an understanding of IBM i security. You can satisfy this prerequisite by successfully completing the following courses of the IBM i Security series:
- Introduction to IBM i Security
- Granting Object Authority
- Controlling Application Security
- System Security Considerations
- Creating an Application Environment
- Creating and Maintaining User Profiles
- Security-Related System Values
You may also have obtained these skills by taking other courses or through relevant work experience.